Saturday, March 11, 2006

Sometimes feel like the luckiest person



Okay, really, far from it most days.

But once in awhile, like today, I recognize how fortunate I truly am in many ways. We went to the Cuyahoga Valley Railway today for their Cabin Fever trip. Saw some really cool stuff: an original iron bridge (still looks like new) and blue heron nests way up at the top of trees. Of course, my kids took all the various diversions: drawing paper, books. Even I took Chuck Klosterman's Sex, Drugs and Cocoa Puffs: a Low Culture Manifesto. Which, by the way, is one of the funniest, insightful books I've ever read.

Fortunately, we actually put aside all our stuff and enjoyed a full 45 minutes together before they started scrapping and looking for snacks.

Then we went to dinner, courtesy of the 17-year-old, to Roadhouse. Last night, the baby --who at 12 is now about an inch away from passing me in height, sadness --took me to Red Lobster for Lobsterfest and the bday. And my parents don't need dinner tomorrow night. Which means I'm going a whole weekend without cooking for the first time in forever!

It's so great the girls haven't totally gone teenzilla on me, yet. Think it's not going to happen. There's little rebellion and a whole lot of shared interests: music, movies, books. About the only thing that truly drives me nuts is Dance Dance Revolution. But only because right now the computer monitor and floors are shaking as they take turns dancing on the Konami pad. Last week it about made my brain snap off the stem, trying to work with laptop and computer monitor bouncing all over.

Still, how many kids take their parents out to nice dinners two nights in a row?

It almost makes their constant sniping at one another bearable. :)
Comments: Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?

SherrodBrown.com : He's On Our Side
Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting

Image hosted by TinyPic.com