Wednesday, September 06, 2006

Terry Durst: My Hometown Hero



I just love, love, love it when someone gets fired up about stuff with which I've a personal relationship. Oh, that, and to get passionately enraged over something as insignificant as a few lines of a movie review is so delightfully insouciant it must be shared....


Hats off Mr. (Mrs/Ms?) Durst:

From the Cleveland Free Times, Letters to the Editor:

"So for Michael David Toth, Matthew Barney's new film makes David Lynch's masterpiece Mulholland Drive 'resemble a Walton's episode, by comparison?' ("Occidentally in Love," August 23.)

This is one of the dumbest things I've ever read in your paper, as well as a completely cliched approach to reviewing a film. Barney is all glitz and glamour and surface (oooh! aaah!) with very little substance. Lynch reaches to the depths of his soul and doesn't have to impress anyone with theatrics. He is a born filmmaker. Barney is an art star.

I mean, really, think about it. There is no way in hell that any piece of art on this earth would make Mulholland Drive look like The Waltons - ever.

Jesus. Get a film critic with some brains."


Heh, I truly love it. Even in my most Mulholland Drive enraptured, intrigued days I'd probably not get that feisty. But maybe.



Comments: Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?

SherrodBrown.com : He's On Our Side
Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting

Image hosted by TinyPic.com